Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Collage

We finished off our day yesterday with a Christmas art project that turned out really cute. The project, originally from Artsonia, is described on a blog I just discovered yesterday, Kids Artists. This blog has some beautiful projects, targeted to 3rd - 5th graders. I loved the colors and patterns in the sample Christmas Tree Collages, but I especially liked the idea of putting music paper in the background.

Our kids are each playing a piano piece in our church's Christmas program this coming Sunday, so I thought it would be fun for them each to use their own music for their collage. I just made copies straight from their piano books, so you can even see handwritten notes, reminding the kids to count correctly at certain measures. I love little personal touches like that! In fact, I like the idea so much that next year I'd like to come up with a similar project. How fun it would be to have a cute collection of all the Christmas songs they learn over the years!

Ryne will be playing Angels We Have Heard on High.

Photobucket

Grace will be playing (and singing) O Come, Little Children.

Photobucket

Anna was at school when we made these, but she plans to make one next week. She will be playing O Holy Night.

Just a couple notes about the project:

The blogger behind Kids Artists is Dutch, so she refers to A4 size paper, which is about the same as 8.5" x 11". That was my education for the day -- I had no idea about the international paper standard that is used everywhere but the United States and Canada. : )

Also, Grace was able to manage the project nicely even though it is targeted toward older children. She had a harder time not making her drawing too detailed and needed some help cutting out the trees, but it did not take away from her enjoyment.

Happy Homeschooling!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your nice comment on my blog! By the way, the idea of those Christmas trees is not my own as I wrote on my blog. I found it on Artsonia, and tried it in my classroom (in Holland).
    Your kids dit a marvellous job with their artwork. My compliments for them!
    Greetings from a cold and dark Holland,
    Jacquelien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jacquelien! I forgot that you had credited Artsonia, so I've made the change in this post. I'm looking forward to trying out some of the other ideas on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kellie and Jacquelien for passing along this idea. I love it!

    Kellie- the kids did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and MUST do it! Thx!
    Blessings,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete