Monday, May 3, 2010

I'm back... (sort of)

Someday I'd like to visit Atlanta without having a travel disaster. It sounds like a wonderful city with lots of neat things to do.

But so far my record is not good in this city. There was the time we were driving to Florida and spent hours stuck in traffic in the Atlanta area, in the middle of the night. Compared to that experience, Chicago traffic was a piece of cake.

And then there is today's experience. I woke up at 4:00 a.m. to make my 6:30 a.m. connecting flight through Atlanta and eventually home. But first the weather wasn't cooperating. The first flight was delayed half an hour.

Once in Atlanta, my next flight was delayed an hour due to the aftereffects of the weather. It looked like just about every flight in the airport was delayed. Then they said our flight was delayed again because there was a problem with the plane's engine. But then it was okay. We boarded the plane and things looked good.

I was absorbed in a book when we were cleared for take-off. The woman next to me was asleep. Faster and faster went the plane and then BAM! Just as we're about to lift off the plane slammed to a stop, along with every passenger's heart! The woman next to me grabbed my arm as she was startled awake. Apparently the engine problems were not fixed.

So they cancelled our flight, leaving us all to go stand-by all day long. I am finally booked on a flight out tonight, but the time keeps getting pushed back. I have taken the airport tram from Terminal T to A to B to A to B and now I'm back at A, I think.

I'm not complaining. I'd much rather arrive home in one piece and kiss the heads of my sleeping kids than find out what would have happened had we actually got in the air with a bad engine.

Oh, dear. My flight has just been delayed another two hours.

To be continued...

P.S. I did have a fabulous trip though and can't wait to share pictures (I haven't even seen them myself yet)!

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for stopping that plane before take-off! I know that had to be scary. So glad you and everyone else on board are okay.
    If I had known you would be stuck in ATL all day, I would have come to the airport and kept you company!
    I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you are having such a hard time in the Atlanta airport. Atlanta does have a great many things to visit and see. We were just there three days ago near the Atlanta airport for our homeschool convention. Our daughter was fascinated with watching all the planes come in.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete