Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Homeschool Home Base

Homeschool Room_2

I love homeschooling and I enjoy decorating my home, so it's natural that I've always loved seeing pictures of other people's homeschool rooms. I had always meant to share pictures of my own school room once it changed rooms in our house, but never got it done. But now that we're starting our final year of homeschooling, I figured it was now or never, haha! Yet, the timing does seem a little harsh. I grew up on the Texas Gulf Coast and I have family and friends who live in the Naples/Ft. Myers area of Florida. With so many people dealing with damaged or destroyed homes or worse suffering, it does seem a little worldly to be sharing pictures of a school room. I'm grateful for God's blessing of a home, but I hurt for those who have lost so much.

With one off at college and two teenagers at home, we really don't even need a homeschool room anymore. Yet, I still love having a homeschool room, mostly just because I love this room. More than any other room in our house, this room tells our story: it holds the books we love, things we've created, mementos we've collected on special trips, gifts from friends and family, precious items inherited from loved ones who are no longer with us, not to mention all the documents and less pretty items that prove our existence in the world.

It's purpose has evolved and it's more of a home base. It's where you'll usually find me on my "throne" with two dogs at my feet. It's where we work through math problems together or just chat about life. It's my spot for Bible reading, praying, menu planning, bill paying, and (a few times a year) Netflix binging.

The magnetic white board that was used for so many years for All About Spelling, diagramming sentences, and working logic puzzles is now mostly used for announcements and reminders. This room started out with a student-sized desk for Grace and then was replaced with a regular adult-sized desk, but last week she moved all her stuff out to work at a desk in her room. Ryne also works at a desk in his own room, which is separated from the school room by a bathroom. The laundry room is conveniently located on the other side of the school room so I have no excuse to get behind on laundry. The hallway that connects all these rooms is lined with six of these Ikea bookcases for our family library, but most of the homeschool books are kept in the school room.

The school room itself is a mishmash of my parents' belongings and Ikea. The focal point of the room is The Beast, my mom's dining room hutch. It weighs about a million pounds; Marc and Ryne and I almost died getting it up the stairs several years ago. But somehow (with lots of tears and screaming on my part) we finally got it up and now this room will forevermore be a homeschool room because The Beast is never leaving. I swapped out the glass shelves and 70's gold hardware and now I can't imagine not having The Beast in this room. The sofa also came from my parents' house. I was hesitant at first because I thought it was the most uncomfortable sofa ever, but that was because it was in one of those front-of-the house living rooms that never got used. Once the sofa hosted a few hundred read-aloud sessions it acquired a more relaxed look. And now that the dogs have adopted it as their daytime habitat it has a very relaxed look!

There's a bit of an outdoor theme going on, inspired by some nature prints that belonged to my mom. We've had this color of sage green walls in every house we've lived in since 1995. I took a picture from a Martha Stewart magazine (before she was a household name) to the Sherwin Williams store and said make me something that looks like that, and I've just used the same color code three more time since then. No matter what the light, it always makes for a calming room. Calming + Homeschooling? Now, that's a Good Thing.

When we first started homeschooling, our school room was in a room above our garage that had served as an office for the previous owner's construction business, so even though we used the room as homeschool room/home office/guest room, we always called it The Office. We laughed about how other kids went to school but ours went to the office. And now that our current room is slowly becoming less of a homeschool room and more of an office, we're pretty stuck on calling it The School Room, of course.  And like I said earlier, The Beast is not moving until professionals move us out of this house someday, so the school room is staying as it is. My official homeschool journey is ending soon, but there's still a lot of work to be done in launching these kids on the paths God is laying out before them. And I'm guessing a lot of that work will still be done from this room that I love so much.

I hope you enjoy the tour.

Homeschool Room_6
Homeschool Room_5

Homeschool Room_7

Homeschool Room_9
This is Camelot.  Anna got him for Ryne when she left for college, but he follows me everywhere. There was no way I was going to get pictures of this room without him in it, but he cracked me up because as I moved around the room taking pictures, he moved around the room too so that he would always end up in a photo. Camelot, you're in my spot!

Homeschool Room_16

Homeschool Room_26
This is my throne. I spend way too much time here. Marc installed the handy Ikea shelf behind the end of the sofa and it's the perfect place for all the books I need quick access to. I never have to leave or get up for a thing!

Homeschool Room_28
Yes, we still have the last Little House book nearby, with one chapter left to be read. Grace and I can't bring ourselves to read it, because then it will truly be the end of an era. My little girls will have grown up.

Homeschool Room_27
The maps are one of my favorite things in the room. I used spray adhesive to paste them directly to the wall and then I also used the adhesive to glue some trim Marc cut to go around the maps. One piece eventually did fall, so we put a couple nails in. The maps are definitely pretty enough to be artwork.

Homeschool Room_25
You do know these photos are staged, right? Because I guarantee this table is usually piled with stuff, my to-do list is a couple pages long, and the inbox holds papers I keep "forgetting" to grade. The coffee is very real, however, and very necessary. The laptop is soon to become Ryne's because I found it hard to edit photos on the small screen and because it's way too easy to sit on my throne all day with my eyes glued to a screen.

Homeschool Room_20

Homeschool Room_14
This was Grace's desk. Last week she moved her stuff to Anna's old desk in her room, which is why it's empty. This will now be my workspace. I'm trying to get used to using a desktop again. Grace painted the picture of the Russian nesting dolls (which are actually across the room in the book case).

Homeschool Room_22
Marc framed and installed the magnetic white board for me, which is screwed directly into the wall. Actually, twice he had to install it, since we moved our school room. He was thrilled about that, haha! #sorryhoney

Homeschool Room_29
I love The Beast. And I think she's much happier being stuffed with books than a bunch of dainty china.

Homeschool Room_23

Homeschool Room_40

Homeschool Room_24
The canvas bins have been holding many of the high school books, sorted by grade level as Anna finished with them. Even though the girls go/went to a private school, Ryne uses many of the same books in Classical Conversations, so this was a good way to keep everything organized. Now that Grace is in 9th grade, I'm not sure what we'll do with the bins as I start to sell the stuff we don't need anymore.

Homeschool Room_39
My dad's slide rule and math tables from when he was in college. So thankful for calculators!


Homeschool Room_38

Homeschool Room_33
A vintage puzzle we found in my grandmother's stuff. Marc's set of LOTR books from his growing up years.

Homeschool Room_34
My mom's ruler from her years as an art teacher.

Homeschool Room_37
The Beast holds a ton of stuff!

Homeschool Room_36
This is Izzy, my dad's dog, who came to live with us just before he died. She only hangs around with me if Anna or Marc aren't around, so she showed up at the end of my photoshoot. She's a little scruffy and needs to visit the groomer. And, yes, she has some pink hair on top (that's actually faded quite a bit). You can ask the girls how that happened.

Homeschool Room_19
I may not be Izzy's favorite, but this one... he's all mine. He's not the best homeschool student, but he does a great job of keeping my feet warm.


....................................................................

Other Blue House Academy homeschool room posts (a fun trip down memory lane):
Our First Homeschool Room
History Timeline
School Room Switch-a-Roo
Homeschool Room Closet
(the closet has evolved too -- we outgrew the need for workboxes and this summer I cleaned everything out and got rid of almost half the contents of the closet!)
Christmas Homeschool Room


....................................................................


5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic space! I love how neat and tidy everything is. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention this, but I love all the family pieces from your parents that are incorporated into the space. They certainly make this space extra special.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It certainly is a special room to us. I often wish my mom could have seen this room because she'd love it. I actually found the nature prints unframed and stuffed in an envelope in her office after she passed away. She never got around to framing or hanging them, so I think she'd be very happy to see them looking so pretty and being enjoyed every day. But, I promise it's not always this tidy, haha!

      Delete
  2. So...I know you posted this at the beginning of the school year, and here we are nearing the end of the school year.... :)

    Your school room is beautiful! I love the beast and your organizational bins. How very smart to label them by grade. My bedroom is the exact same color. It looks like a room I could spend all day in, maybe reading, maybe teaching, maybe watching Netflix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice info given in this blog.We are Restaurant furniture suppliers Dubai,USA,China. We always provide excellent, professional service to global buyers with our high-quality products, and our focus is on the customer.
    office furniture suppliers Dubai,executive furniture in usa,office furniture suppliers China.We have Restaurant Furniture Stores Dubai,USA,china.

    ReplyDelete