Thursday, December 19, 2013

Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus

 photo ChristmasHymnscopy.jpg

It was such a blessing to spend October sharing my favorite hymns, and I planned all along to share some of my favorite Christmas hymns in December as well. Time got away from me the first half of this month, so now you are going to be bombarded with blog posts over the next week or so. I plan to share more of our family's traditions, and I even have a homeschooling post going up later today.

I love Christmas music, don't you? There is a country station in our town that switches to playing just Christmas music this time of year, and I've been listening to it every time I'm in the car (which has been a lot lately). They play a great variety of Christmas music, from the stuff you typically hear on the Christian radio station, the old big-band Christmas classics (love!), the goofy like David Sandler's Chanukah Song (I'm sorry, but it does make me laugh), to the downright awful (George Michael's Last Christmas and even worse ones which I will not name because then they will be stuck in your head all day and you'll hate me). A new one to me was Mary's Boy Child/O My Lord from the disco era -- it's pretty groovy and even better in video. ; )

Nevertheless, my favorites are the traditional Christmas hymns. The Christ-centered, solid-doctrine, great hymns of the faith. I'm so thankful for how God has gifted these hymn writers and composers over the generations, so that we may worship Him fully.

Born thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a king,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now thy gracious kingdom bring.
By thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to thy glorious throne.

There's nothing wrong with driving through town, bopping to some fun Christmas songs, but I need to remind myself to take some time to really reflect on the true miracle of Christmas.

if you're reading in email, click over to the blog to see the video - just click on the post title


No comments:

Post a Comment