Friday, March 23, 2012
It's Friday and my brain is mush
This picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post. But curls and freckles make me happy and I could use a little happy right now. No, there's nothing wrong. Life is busy and full and wonderful, but I'm so ready for the weekend. I have quite a few almost-finished blog posts in the works, but instead you're going to get my end-of-the-week ramblings.
1. Spring officially started this week, and I already have ants in my kitchen. I've tried a handful of natural ant killers/deterrents that didn't work, and now I'm watching the ants do a victory parade around the little store-bought ant bait stations I set up. Because we had such a mild winter, the big fear for this spring and summer is that it will be really hot, allergies will be awful, and we'll have lots of bugs. Maybe we can spend the summer in Alaska.
2. I'm feeling a little sorry for the public school kids this week. It's their spring break and it has rained all. week. long. Last week (our spring break) was sunny and mid-70s and next week will be too. It's been nice to have the rain make everything so green, but I'm guessing there are some frazzled moms in my neighborhood right now.
3. I've always known I'm not a great blogger, but I really provided myself with a laugh yesterday. I got a copyright notice this week from You Tube concerning a video I made -- something about the music. It was a video I made of our vacation to Michigan in 2009, which I posted to the blog. Or at least I thought I did. I loved that video, and they had a link to the video in the email, so I clicked it. It was then I discovered I had the video set to private use and didn't even know it! So no one on my blog could see it. I then realized that it wasn't the only video I posted to the blog that I had set to private -- one was even a give-away announcement. So I'm guessing those blog posts didn't make much sense and that's why no one ever said, "Cute video!" Yes, I homeschool my kids -- why do you ask?
4. Speaking of homeschooling . . . we've been on a roll lately, getting lots done. I think it's that summer-is-almost-here-so-let's-get-as-much-done-now-as-possible syndrome. Anyway, today I had a noon meeting at Anna's school I had to attend. It's about a 25 minute drive to her school and I drive the afternoon carpool, so it didn't make sense to drive home after the meeting and then turn around to drive back to school. Instead, I decided we'd do car school. After the meeting we put the seats down in the back of the van, set out a blanket and some pillows, and got to work. We finished almost everything on the planner for the day. The only problem is that I accidentally left the headlights on while we did car school, so the battery died. And I didn't discover the battery was dead until the kids were being let out of school. And it had started pouring rain. Again. The power doors to the side and back of the van wouldn't work, so the kids were having to crawl over each other with heavy backpacks to get in and escape the rain. The principal had to flag down some teenage boys to jump-start my car.
5. Then I thought I should call my hubby to let him know everything was okay (because the first thing I did when I realized what a mess I was in was to call him and whine). But I couldn't find my cell phone anywhere. When I got home I used the home phone to call the cell phone so I could try to figure out where it was hiding. It had fallen inside the tissue box I keep on the floor of the car. So glad I had the sense to call while that battery was still charged, otherwise I probably would never have found it.
6. We have pretty much nothing on the schedule for the second weekend in a row!!! I'm hoping to do a little photo organizing tomorrow. You probably thought I forgot about that little challenge of mine. I didn't forget, but I've been slacking a little. In January I moved the furniture in our school/craft/guest room, which meant moving all the boxes of photos. It took me a couple of hours, so I counted that as my January organization session. ; ) In February I spent a couple of hours cleaning up photos and videos on my computer, so I counted that, but never blogged about it. I really need to get back on track for March, but I better hurry, because the month is almost over!
Have a great weekend!