Tuesday, August 16, 2011

pictures, pictures, {ugh} pictures

I'm still in Texas, but it's looking like our departure date might get moved up a day, depending on how quickly the movers work. I did get to see my hubby for about 14 hours last weekend. He flew down and then drove a U-Haul with some furniture back to the Blue House. He also took Anna home with him, so she could spend some time with her best friend before school starts next week. But I don't want to talk about school, because it just reminds me I haven't even started my homeschool planning. So let's just forget about that S word for now, and have a few laughs.

As I sorted pictures last week, I divided them into three piles: vintage (some of which I showed you in the last post), my sister's and my growing up years, and the modern era (90's to present). Going through pictures of my childhood and youth were great entertainment, so I thought I'd share some with you.

Let's start with the cute. Awww...
Photobucket

Proof that I was a blondie for my early years.
Photobucket

And here's proof that things started to go downhill in the hair department as I turned brunette. This was my Dorothy Hamill stage. I soooo wanted to be her. I took ice skating lessons and my dad even made a small rink in the backyard for me. But then we moved to Texas and that was the end of my skating career.
Photobucket

So I started to grow out the Dorothy-do.
Photobucket

Then I went through my version of the grunge look. That's my cocker spaniel, Melody, who was always peeing on the floor. Ah, memories.
Photobucket

This just might be the best picture of me I found. Very appropriate since I never, ever looked like that when I played softball. I was a catcher, so I was usually covered in a mixture of sweat and dust with my hair plastered down around my face.
Photobucket

Have I ever mentioned I played the clarinet? I gave it up half way through my junior year in high school, so I can't play anymore. I had moments where I played pretty darn well, but I never practiced. And I wonder why my kids won't practice the piano. At least I still know how to read music.
Photobucket

Honestly, I might have stayed in band longer if they hadn't made us wear awful outfits like this concert uniform. My mom was smart enough to not take any pictures of me in the marching uniform -- that was even worse! (BTW, notice the hair getting bigger?)
Photobucket

By my sophomore year, I didn't have to wear the marching uniform. I got to upgrade to these lovely outfits since I was on the flag line. The left outfit was for football games and competitions; the right for pep rallies. Go team!
Photobucket

Speaking of team, shouldn't I be helping mine out instead of posing for a picture? And, yes, I made sure my hair and makeup looked okay before soccer games too. My high school classmates would never believe that if it weren't for Sundays there might be entire weeks that I don't wear makeup now.
Photobucket

You knew it was coming -- a REALLY BIG hair picture. This was also probably the last time I was taller than my younger sister. She's at least three inches taller than me now, although if I went back to that hair style I might outmeasure her again.
Photobucket

About the only thing bigger than my hair was the size of the hideous mum corsages we wore for homecoming. Tell me, was this just a Texas thing?
Photobucket

The corsages were so heavy that we had to safety-pin them to our bra straps or they'd pull our dresses down. Here I am (in the middle) with a couple of my girlfriends. Notice we all had perfect hair and we were all wearing dresses that had at least a couple yards fabric more than what you'd find on a typical homecoming dress today.
Photobucket

And what was it with floral patterns back then? My sister and I look like we walked out of wallpaper sample book.
Photobucket

But my hair was starting to look better! There was no label on this picture, but I can tell you with great certainty that it was the summer of 1990 because it was when I started getting spiral perms and grew out my bangs. It's the only time in my entire life I've loved my hair, because it was so easy to fix. If the Smurfs can come back, maybe there's still hope for the spiral perm.

Thank you for putting up with my trip down memory lane!

5 comments:

  1. These are SO FUN, Kellie!! And, oh.my.goodness, do I see Ryne! Can't wait until you get back! Let's get together and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given me a great laugh...my pictures look very similar (big hair, floral dresses). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. School, school, school! Lol, sorry, I couldn't resist.

    I just had to laugh because I, too, had the Dorthy Hamill cut, a cocker spaniel with bladder control problems, big hair, and wallpaper floral dresses. I did NOT have the GINORMOUS homecoming corsage, though. Wow! TX thing, for sure.

    Such fun, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, Texas thing for sure!!! I was laughing out loud because of the big hair and big corsage. I love old pictures! oh, I I love Dorothy Hamill too! Actually, I started ice skating lessons after the movie "Ice Castles."
    Remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! And I must say that these pictures are SO hilarious...but only because I have so many like them! I remember begging my mom for a spiral perm. And she never let me...WAAAA! =P And love the blue satin gown, reminds me of a turquoise one I wore in homecoming one year...with matching satin heels dyed turquoise. HA! =) Funny, funny memories!

    ReplyDelete