Tuesday, January 28, 2014

State of the Blue House

While political analysts are discussing tonight's State of the Union address, I know what you really want to know is what's going on at the Blue House. Well, even if that wasn't what was foremost in your mind, here are a few things that have been happening lately. {grin}

1) Two more signs I'm officially old: First, I've made coffee every day for the last two weeks. Now, before I ruffle the feathers of my coffee-loving friends, I'm not saying drinking coffee makes you old. It makes me old, because I almost never make coffee for myself. I've been fine my entire life without coffee, although I do love the occasional treat from QuikTrip or (if I'm willing to spend the money) something from Starbucks, but now I'm finding I just can't make my brain work without a little help.

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse2.jpg

But even more humbling than having to resort to a daily coffee fix, is that I have to use a magnifying glass to check my daughter's math homework. Because of the two days at home schedule of the girls' school, I'm supposed to check Grace's math homework, so I have my own copy of the teacher key. But the answers in the teacher key are so stinkin' small I can't read them! I have an eye doctor appointment on Thursday, and I think I know what the result will be.

2) We pretty much see deer every day at the Blue House, but this year there has been an abundance of wild turkeys in our neighborhood. Love it! I quickly snapped this shot through the window of one in front of our house, but they don't stay still long enough for you to get a good picture.

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse1.jpg

3) I am the mother of a 16-year-old now. A 16-year-old who has no interest in driving. But I love her anyway. ; ) For her birthday party she had some of her friends over for an epic battle of catch-the-flag in the back yard, complete with weapons. I want to be 16 again!

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse3.jpg

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse4.jpg
Ryne was invited to the battle.

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse5.jpg

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse7.jpg

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse8.jpg
Speak softly and carry a big stick.

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse9.jpg

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse10.jpg

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse11.jpg
The birthday girl in action.

 photo StateoftheBlueHouse12.jpg
Take that!

4) The transmission went out in Marc's car last Friday. While I'm not happy about what it's going to cost to get it rebuilt, it has turned into a wonderful blessing for me. It will take a week to get it fixed, so we are down to one car. Marc will rent a car Thursday and Friday because we have too many things going on those days, but yesterday he took the girls to school and he picked them up so he could use my car all day. Folks, that was two extra hours in my day!!! Today he mostly worked from home, but took Anna to the office with him in the afternoon and then took her to her indoor track practice because it's just a few minutes from his office. Normally, I would have driven her to practice, stayed for the entire practice, then driven her home -- total of 2.5 hours. Woo hoo! Yes, I've gotten a few more things than usual done this week. I could get used to this . . . .

5) You know when you have one of those "small world" moments when an unknown connection between you and someone is revealed? Today was full of those moments for me today. I won't go into all the details, because it would completely bore you, but it just kept happening and happening through emails, someone who stopped by the house, phone calls, etc. And everyone involved was a Christian. I have no idea what God's purpose was in revealing all these connections, but it was so cool.

Anything interesting happen in your January?

6 comments:

  1. Magnifying glass...genius! Must get one soon. ;)

    Looks like a fun party. Sorry about the car, but that does sound like a good perk.

    Olive Plants Academy is enjoying the snow. Almost 4 inches here... unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four inches?! Wow! I bet everything has shut down from it -- hopefully that gave you a nice break this week. : ) We've had very little snow this month. It did snow quite a bit just hours after the backyard battle and a lot of it didn't melt for a couple of weeks because of the cold temps, but we haven't had any new snow.

      Delete
    2. Yes, have you seen the meme circulating announcing that Georgia is closed? Pretty much. Broken water pipes & icy streets (solid sheets, not just patches) kept Michael home all week. Thankfully he was not one of the thousands of Georgians & Alabamans stranded on the roads or stuck at work until we thawed out.

      Delete
    3. I haven't, but after I read your comment I started seeing news stories and blog posts about the mess you guys have had. It will be one of those stories your boys can tell their grandkids! : )

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking that a snow day would be nice, forcing us to stay home during the day AND evening ...so glad you have been able to get a few extra hours at home (and very sweet that Anna let her "little" brother join in in her game) : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was kind of hoping tomorrow would be a snow day, but it's not looking very promising. : )

      Delete